Cyber security Discussion Paper
You can select any tasks that add up to 30 marks.
You could industry resources such as Gartner and Ovum. Go to http://libguides.cdu.edu.au/IT to access these sites.
References are required.
1. Based on your personal experiences or those of someone you know (you mayhave to interview other students or a friend), write a paragraph regarding acomputer attack that occurred.
· When did it happen and what was the attack?
· What type of damage did it inflict?
· List thereason or reasons you think that the attack was successful.
· How was the computer fixedafter the attack?
· What could have prevented it?
2. Describe onion router and its purposes. Download onion router and using wireshark capture packets coming out of onion router when you visit a website. What path are the packets taking to go out of the network? (10 marks)
3. Download “smb3-aes-128-ccm.pcap” from the following link https://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures#SMB3_encryption. Analyse the pcap file using wireshark and list down all information you can read from the packets.
4. Run “netstat -an” on your own computer. You can investigate each type of server running on your machine and explain it in detail. Note : netstat will work in Windows and Linux OS (05 Marks)
5. Download PGP (freeware or paid) and try to encrypt an email using someone’s public key. Describe other functions that you can do with PGP (05 marks)
6. Download any steganography software and demonstrate hiding a 500kB document in the software–(05 marks)
7. Password cracking :Create a digest on a password and then crack it with anonline cracking website to demonstrate the speed of cracking.passwords. You can create 10 different passwords and see how those passwords could be cracked.
Note :The first step is to use a hash algorithm to create a password digest. Useyour web browser to go towww.fileformat.info/tool/hash.htm.
You can use https://crackstation.net/ to check the password cracking time.
8. VirusTotal, a subsidiary of Google, is a free online service that analyses filesand URLs in order to identify potential malware. VirusTotal scans and detectsany type of binary content, including a Windows executable program,Android, PDFs, and images. VirusTotal is designed to provide a“second opinion”on a fileand URL that may have been flagged as suspicious by other AV software. In this task, youwill use VirusTotal to scan a file and a URL. You can create a file or upload an existing file to check for malicious signatures. URL :https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload
(Note : You have to check both file and an URL of your choice) (10 Marks)