Diversity Issues in Career Counseling
You have explored five diverse cases in the Riverbend City: Career Counseling
scenarios media piece designed to enhance your cultural competence and ability
to work with a variety of life situations. As previously discussed, we must
understand our own assumptions, values, and biases, as well as the worldviews
of others and then develop appropriate strategies and interventions. The goal of
this assignment is to demonstrate your understanding of cultural competence,
your limitations as they relate to career counseling, and your plan to develop the
For this assignment, choose one of the five scenarios that may be applied to your
counseling specialization. Using the Diversity Issues in Career Counseling
Template (linked in Resources), address the following elements in your
Discuss an issue or challenge for a chosen client or student in developing their
● Describe specific characteristics pertaining to culture and diversity that are
associated with the fictitious person from your chosen scenario and
explore considerations that may factor into the presenting career or
Analyze how societal norms such as gender, age, culture, socioeconomic status
or other characteristics may have influenced your client’s career development.
Select at least three characteristics or diversity issues.
● Explain how these factors, combined with the presenting career counseling
issue, impact the person’s mental well-being, life roles, and relationships
Analyze the interrelationships among work, mental well-being, social interactions,
and other life roles and factors.
● Explain how these factors interrelate in defining or clarifying career goals.
Assess how biases and assumptions can impact the career counseling process
both from your perspective as the counselor and from the perspective of the
client or student. Propose strategies to decrease biases and assumptions.
Self-assess biases and assumptions and describe how to minimize them when
working with diverse populations.
● Assess your own biases and describe how you will work to decrease these
biases when working with diverse populations.
● Describe strategies you can use to decrease your biases and assumptions.
Review the Diversity Issues in Career Counseling Scoring Guide to understand
the grading criteria for this assignment.
● Communication: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional,
and consistent with expectations for members of the counseling
professions. Write effectively through the consistent use of grammar,
punctuation, mechanics, and APA format. Use scholarly resources that
support your analysis through clear, concise, well-organized, and
grammatically correct writing that incorporates appropriate APA style
conventions with few errors.
● APA Requirements: Follow current edition APA style and format.
● References: Include at least three references from scholarly sources, one
of which should be your selected article.
● Length: 4–5 pages in addition to the title and reference pages.
● SafeAssign: For this assignment in this course, use the SafeAssign Draft
option to check your writing and ensure that you have paraphrased,
quoted, and cited your sources appropriately. Run a SafeAssign report,
saving your paper as a draft. Based on your SafeAssign results, make any
necessary changes to your paper before submitting your assignment to
your instructor for grading.