History 101 Take Home Final Please answer ONLY one (1) of the following questions. Be sure to
provide specific examples with citations. You should base your answer upon the readings and rely on
lectures only where the book does not cover it. Your answer is due by 11:59 PM on August 14. (You
will also take a multiple-choice portion of the final on August 14, between the hours of 12AM and
1. Discuss the factors in world history that have led to the pending environmental catastrophe that
we are facing today. How did industrialization as well as scientific and medical advancements
change the world? How did the excessive carbon pollution and overpopulation of the world
come to be in the last 250 or so years?
2. Discuss the effects of European colonialism and colonization on the Islamic world, esp. the
Middle East. Have Europeans played a role in creating fundamentalism in Islam?
3. How did modernization occur in the Islamic world, and what problems did the process used to
modernize create? How was the process of modernization in the Islamic world different from
that of Europe?
4. Choose one country or region discussed in The Origins of the Modern World and compare and
contrast the economic, political, and social order of that place in 1750 versus 1950. What factors
account for the radical changes experienced in this country over this span of time?
5. Choose one commodity discussed in the course lectures and class readings and trace its impact
over time. Why was it significant? Were they some cultures that valued it over others? What
specific impacts did this one commodity have on the modern world? Some possibilities could
include silver, opium, slaves (unfortunately, a commodity), guns/weapons of war, nitrogenous
6. Discuss British colonialism. What factors enabled the British to colonize as much of the world as
they did? What impacts did British imperialism have on the countries that were colonized? How
and why were the British colonizers enriched at the expense of the colonized? (If this question
proves too broad, feel free to focus upon a specific region or regions of the colonized world,
such as India and China or Africa.)
7. What factors brought about the end of colonization, or “decolonization” in the twentieth
8. Discuss the nation-state system. What is a nation-state? How did this become the modern
system of government? What implications, positive and negative, has the establishment of
nation-states had on the modern world?
Please provide citations to the text in your answer. Your response should be approximately 3-5 pages,
in 12-point font, double-spaced. You should answer the questions using the course materials; outside
research is not required. Citations should be in APA format. If you are using a kindle edition or other
ebook that does not have page numbers, please provide chapter numbers and section sub-headings
for your citations (as I have done on the syllabus, for example). You must provide citations anytime
you reference a text, in addition to when you provide a quotation.