Research and write a 1,500 word research essay with an introductory paragraph, several welldeveloped body paragraphs and a conclusion. By now you have surveyed expert knowledge on
your topic in your Annotated Bibliography and conducted research using a research question.
Drawing from this foundation, you will formulate a specific thesis and support your argument
using at least 3 sources as evidence. This assignment asks you to take a stance on the topic
based on your research and develop your argument over the course of the paper.
For your research essay, you will be expected to take into consideration any peer and instructor
feedback as well as your own evolving thinking about your topic.
What to include:
In your introductory paragraph(s):
– the big issues and guiding focus of your paper
– context (background information, existing knowledge, definitions of key terms)
– a clear and succinct thesis statement
Throughout your paper:
– body paragraphs (probably 3-5) that present and analyze useful material from your
sources as evidence
– topic sentences (the sentence that begins each body paragraph) to identify the main
idea in the paragraph and how it relates to the overall argument
– signposts and emphasis markers that help your reader understand how each main point
relates to your overall argument and how your different points are related to one
– evidence from and analysis of sources to support your points and main argument
– reporting expressions that show your reader who is speaking and who has contributed
what to the conversation (ex: argues, contends, explains, proposes, etc.)
– integrated quotations, paraphrases and summaries
In your concluding paragraph(s) Conclusion
– a brief reminder of your key ideas and overall argument
– a discussion of the significance of this topic
– a gesture toward how this line of thinking could be expanded upon
Please format your essay using MLA style.
You will be evaluated based on the strength of your thesis, the depth and development of your
ideas, the orchestration of sources as evidence, and your ability to logically structure the
research essay. Organization, effective use of quotations, and clear and coherent formal writing
will also contribute to your grade.