PSYC255 Research Paper: Mental Illness in Film
Length:A minimum of 5 pages, excluding the cover page and reference page.
Directions:Choose a film and character (suffering from a psychological disorder) from the movie list provided below. The purpose of this paper is to research and describe in great detail the psychological disorder (i.e. symptoms, treatment, etc.) and apply this information to the character you have selected. To be clear, this assignment is primarily a research paper and the majority of your writing will be on the disorder you choose (not the film).
Resources Required (minimum of 6):
- Our textbook
- The film
- DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria for selected disorder (found in library or email me)
- A minimum of one (1)article from a peer-reviewed, scientific journal presenting information about the psychological disorder (e.g. information on etiology, diagnosis, prevalence/incidence rates, treatment, prognosis)
- Use the Library’s Online Databases (e.g. PsychArticles,ProQuest) to find these articles
- These research articles should contain the following sections:
oMethods oResults oDiscussion
- Roughly one pageof your paper should be dedicated to describing the methods, results and findings presented in this article.
- A minimum of two (2) additional articles from reputable resources of your choosing about the psychological disorder (e.g. information on etiology, diagnosis, prevalence/incidence rates, treatment, prognosis)
- Examples of acceptable resources: scholarly journals, government sources, reputable news sources (e.g. New York Times, Psychology Today), reputable psychology websites (e.g. www.apa.org, psychologicalscience.org,www.nimh.nih.gov,www.psychiatry.org/,www.apa.org/monitor/,www.nami.org/)
- Examples of unacceptable resources: wikis, blogs, discussion boards.
- The following areas of your paper must be written in APA format: oCover Page
- In-Text Citations (information not properly cited is plagiarism) oReference Page
- Basic Formatting: Size 12-font, Times New Roman, Double-Spaced, 1-inch margins
- ** Please refer to the APA Format Handout located on Blackboard (under “Course Documents\Research Paper”) to assist you in understanding how to use
- The following are NOT required: oAn abstract is NOT required. oWhile the correct use of APA format requires the use of third-person perspective (i.e.
no use of “I”), it is not necessary for you to abide by this in your paper. You may write your paper using first-person perspective.
1.Introduction: (1 paragraphs)•What is the topic?
- Why should the reader care?
- Thesis sentence. What should the reader expect from the rest of your paper?
2.Explanation of Disorder: (2-3 pages)
**INCLUDE YOUR RESOURCES ON DIAGNOSIS, ETIOLOGY,
PREVALENCE/INCIDENCE RATES AND PROGNOSIS HERE**
- DSM-5 Diagnostic criteria & explanation of symptoms
- Etiology of disorder
- Prevalence/Incidence rates
- Brief Summary of Film: (1 paragraph)
- Brieflysummarize the movie and the character you have chosen.
▪This portion of your paper should be very insignificant
- Diagnosis of your Character: (1-2 pages)
- Diagnosis: Using the textbook, diagnostic criteria from DSM-5, and other resources, explain (in great detail) your diagnosis for your character. Pleaseinclude as many specific examples from the film as possible that contribute toyour explanation of the diagnosis.
- Give your opinion of the movie (e.g. whether or not you feel it accurately portrays the disorder).
- Treatment: (1-2 pages)
**INCLUDE YOUR RESOURCES ON TREATMENT HERE**
- Describe available treatments for the disorder
- Describe what (if any) treatments were used in the film.
- Create and describe what you think would be the best/most successful treatment plan for your character.
- Conclusion: (1 paragraph)