Assignment 1: Emerging/Current Health-Care Issue
Due Week 4 and worth 110 points
Research Paper: 3–5 pages
• Review the case study “Death by Measles.”
• Review Trevor Noah’s video on traveling from Africa during the Ebola crisis.
The purpose of this paper is to examine an emerging/current issue in health care. Potential topics are but not limited to the following:
• Reemerging outbreaks such as measles or Ebola
• Human trafficking
• Violence in health-care settings
• Medical tourism
• Consumer-directed health care
• Assisted suicide
• Medical marijuana
• Mandatory vaccinations
• Personalized medicine
Research, examine, and analyze your issue with thought, sensitivity, and reflection. Your paper must have the following elements:
1. Identify the resources/protocols that a hospital/health provider would need to consider and have in place to address the issue (e.g., HR policies, staff training, etc.).
2. Explain the leadership and managerial responses and/or responsibilities.
3. Discuss the cultural impact.
4. Describe the legislative actions or government agencies that may be involved (e.g., CDC, AMA, ACA, etc.).
5. End your paper with a summary of your research and a conclusion to what you have found.
6. Go to https://research.strayer.edu to locate and utilize at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
7. This course requires the use of new Student Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are as follows:
o Analyze the U.S. health-care system at local, regional, state, and national levels.
o Examine the influence of political, economic, and social factors on the historical and current structure of the U.S. health-care system.
o Determine the various roles and responsibilities of interdisciplinary health-care team members and the required credentials.
o Assess the leadership and managerial role of the health-care administrator.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.