Making a Monster
Please scroll down and read the entire document
While Frankenstein is one of the best known monsters of all time, one question that still needs exploration is this: why create a monster in the first place? What do monsters provide for us? What purpose do they serve?
This assignment will utilize your knowledge of how you can apply what you have learned about Frankenstein to your larger understanding about monsters. Your understanding of paragraph unity, balance, coherence, and development; your ability to apply literal, interpretive and applied levels as necessary; your ability to organize your essay; research skills; analysis of sources; and standard practices in English grammar and sentencing, MLA Formatting, and Works Cited.
Topic – this will help you orient yourself to the focus of the essay
You are provided with Monsters documents to help you with this essay. Please utilize the knowledge you find there coupled with your own ideas.
Question – these are the issues you must address
- Explain 2 reasons why you think we create monsters
- What do monsters do for us psychologically or emotionally?
- What does Frankenstein and his Creature come to warn us about?
- Choose 2 characteristics of monsters that fit either Frankenstein and/or his Creature and explain
Organization of paragraphs
- Please write a 8 paragraph essay utilizing the following organizational style:
- (P1) Intro & Thesis;
- Remember that your introduction should not contain any information that will be in the thesis
- Your thesis should briefly provide responses to the issues you must address (4-6 sentences)
- (P2) What is one psychological or emotional reason that we create monsters? Explain clearly and give examples. (12 sentence minimum)
- (P3) What is a second psychological or emotional reason that we create monsters? Explain clearly and give examples. (12 sentence minimum)
- (P4) What does Victor or come to warn us about? (12 sentence minimum)
- (P5) What does the Creature come to warn us about? (12 sentence minimum)
- (P6) Explain one characteristics of monsters from the document of definitions and show how it fits Victor (12 sentence minimum)
- (P7)Explain a second characteristics of monsters from the document of definitions and show how it fits the Creature (12 sentence minimum)
- (P8) Conclusion
- Remember to re-state your thesis; summarize your points, make an appeal to your audience
- Why (or not) you like the text
- Why (or not) the information is important
- Why (or not) the information is still relatable (4-6 sentences)
This essay will utilize literal, interpretive, and applied levels of complexity.
Note – this will help you with the research
- Please use at least 4 scholarly, credible sources for this paper.
- Also, go to the SCC Home Page and click on ‘Library’ under ‘Student Tools’. Then click on ‘Start Your Research’. Scroll down on the next window and click on ‘SCC Research Guides’. Scroll down on the next window and click on ‘English’. Scroll down and click on ‘Monsters: Frankenstein and Related Topics’. Here is a wealth of information for you.
- Please do not use the novel for quotes; use your sources instead.
- You can use more than 4 if you choose.
- Please do not use:Wikipedia, Shmoop, enotes, BookRags, or other sources of this type as they do not offer credible critiques of texts.