Week 4 Discussion
By Wednesday, please answer the following for 10 points.
Watch the following video first, then answer the questions that follow. After you post your response, you will be able to see everyone else’s responses.
http://www.khanacademy.org/science/healthcare-and-medicine/endocrinology-and-diabetes/v/glucose-insulin-and-diabetes (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Questions (In your response, please include the number and text of each question in bold, followed by your response).
1. What hormone allows glucose to enter cells?
2. What role do receptors on the cell membrane play?
3. How are glucose and insulin transported around the body?
4. What happens if the body doesn’t produce insulin? What is the name of this condition?
5. What happens if receptors of cells become desensitized to insulin? What is the name of this condition?
6. In both types of diabetes, what happens to the amount of glucose in the blood?
7. How does a person with type I diabetes solve their problem?
8. How does a person with type II diabetes solve their problem?
Review this article: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/in-depth/diabetes-symptoms/art-20044248
9. Explain why diabetics, before diagnosis, urinate frequently and are thirsty.
10. Explain why diabetics, before diagnosis, experience fatigue.
11. Explain why diabetics, before diagnosis, might lose weight.
12. Explain how having diabetes can affect your eye sight.